Acording to a post on "swvasports talk" (I should point out that there are 2 SWVAsports message boards which can be confuseing this is the younger of the 2 boards the other deal mostly with the SWD but does hit on all sports in our area) Wise Co. may be combinding some of there band programs (St Paul/Coeburn and Wise/Pound)
I have no sorce to wheather this is true or not but I (and others) called this one along time ago (With the small size of our schools there is NO WAY to pay for every school to have evry program Dickenson Co. lost all there team bands several years ago as well as other programs since I look for this to be JUST THE START of Wise Co. program cuts until consoladation happens)
here is the link
Link
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you havent already heard, the School Board & Wise County have came to a decision that will effect our school tremendously!!
They have decided to take Mr. Jason Dora(Pound's former director) and Make him the director of Coeburn and St. Paul. Yes. both of them. that means one of the band will be shipped to the other school and be instructed by him. The band will then perform at only one of the schools ball games the oyther school will not have a band to perform.
They Have also taken the new director at J.J.Kelly and he is pulling double time. as the director for Pound. The pound studdents have to ride all the way to wise to participate in the bad program and perform under J.J.Kelly colors as Indians and Pound will not have a band perform at their Football Games.
As a student I believe this is not such a good idea. it may lower some costs.. but it is a ver stress full thing for the students to have to adjust to. they would have to endure 15-30 minute bus rides to go to band practice and come home. If a bus is not provided. i dont believe the parents would want to spend time almost every night a week shipping their childern to wisw little on with the gas prices. it would be very costly.
Although I have to say i am very curious how this would work, I do not believe it should happen. So if you would please take the time to sign this. if your for or against and write a brief reasoning it would be greatly appriciated. I will present this at a upcomming School Board meeting.
Thank You.
Approve..
1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Against..
1. Casey Moore- 10th grade student At Pound High School. I believe it would be a bad idea, emotionaly for the students and their family. Prices, for the gas and parents out of pocket expenses. And alos some people dont adapt well tp changes.
2. Todd Christ... -Uhhhhh.......shibby....
3.Crystal Stallard - Im not a bandy but i think it would be bad for them
4. Nikki Atwell- My sister is in it and that would break her heart...I say no!!! our school is to poor to pay for that crap...
5. Shauna Riggs- I say no cause we dont have the money an it wont be right
6. Heather Mullins--- UHHHH thats a bunch of C R A P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7. Felicity Hall-- 2005 graduate of PHS. All this amounts to is another step towards preparing the schools for consolidation. With the price of gas continuing to go up with no end in sight this idea is absolutely ridiculous. These kids that are in the band have poured years of their lifes into learning to play these instruments and to them if this happens and they are unable to participate in the band it would be considered a waste of a large portion of thier lives. During football season I see these kids get out there and play their hearts out to support THEIR school, not the team they are playing against. I saw a game where Pound was playing Coeburn and it was pouring the rain and the band was playing the final countdown I saw the drummer standing up playing his heart out and his glasses covered over from the rain. He couldnt see but he kept playing FOR HIS SCHOOL. Do you think these kids are going to play the same way under the colors of their rivals? </div></div>





Bookmarks